[mythtv] trying to understand prefurring pause

Gary Dezern gary at garyndenise.org
Sun May 7 01:10:30 UTC 2006

I'm trying to investigate the "prebuffering pause" that everyone seems

to see, but no one (on -users) seems to understand.  In particular, I'm
trying to understand if its indicating that:

1)  The rendering of video is going too slowly, and so prebuffering must
pause to let the rendering catch up.

or

2)  The video rendering speed is fine, but something is causing the
prebuffer to empty too quickly, and so a pause occurs so that the
"prebuffer" can be filled.

I doubt I'll be able to come up with any magic bullet to solve the issue
for most people, but I'd like to be able to explain what's going on (on
a wiki page) so that people can evaluate their own systems with a bit
more knowledge.

Thanks in advance
Gary