[mythtv] "Flagging" Videos

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Sun May 7 18:36:55 UTC 2006

* On Sun May 07, 2006 at 06:47:37PM +0200, Roger Martensson wrote:
> And my "objection" to using the groups is that the way of moving shows
> between groups adds a "layer of complexity"(ie. too many clicks).

Any my reason for posting to begin with was to tell you that the odds
of getting a simple 'flags' patch accepted are very low.  I gave
the 'Multi-User' SoC project as one of the reasons why.  If we don't
get that done for the SoC, it will go back on my TODO list and will get
done at some point.  Adding a flag counter is a kludge.

> If groups should be used for this is had to be possible to add a show to
> more than one group at the time. Exampel: The recording profile for "Extreme
> Home Makeover" add it self to dad, mom and daughter profile but not to son
> profile.

This is one of the things that could be done to make Myth multi-user.  No
argument here.

> When I delete it from my profile it should not be deleted from disk. When
> show is not in any profiles anymore it is safe to delete it.
>
> Autoexpire and forcing delete should ofcourse be possible.

Ditto and ditto.  I'm already aware of this and it is why I said the
multi-user way is a better way to go and why a simple flag patch would
probably not be accepted.

> hmm.. Maybe I should take a look at the recording groups and see if it is
> possible to enhance it to use my ideas about putting recordings into more
> than one group..

Something like this I think I probably would accept since it builds on
the existing functionality, but this patch would probably be a bit larger
than what you are thinking since it would have to be handled in quite a few
places.

> That was the way I was thinking of implementing this. If the counter says 3
> it means three people hasn't seen it. When it reaches zero everyone has seen
> the show and it's safe to delete. :)

A counter flag is a kludge.  What if I accidentilly decrement it twice after
watching Lost and it autoexpires and my wife misses the show?  What if I forget
to decrement it and the show never expires.  With a simple flag, there is no
way to see who has or has not watched.  A user-based setup would allow seeing
this information if users wanted to use it.

> My current implementation adds another property to the Storage group which
> is the counter. I could have used the autoexpire property but then I see
> that property as a bool and should only handle auto expire.

AutoExpire is an int.  Higher values expire quicker, that's why LiveTV
recordings expire before any other programs, because they have an AutoExpire
value of 10000 (kLiveTVAutoExpire).  I don't think this is the right place
to handle something like this, but just wanted to correct your impression of
that field.  The GUI only lets people set the value to 0 or 1, but the
field is treated as an int in the code on purpose for things like LiveTV.

> I think in order for this to be effective, it will need Myth to be
> >user-aware like the "Make MythTV Multi-User" Summer Of Code project I

> This sure would be very nice to implement but then it probably has to touch
> almost every corner of the myth source. Probably why it is a Summer Of Code
> project. :)

Yes, but not something that can't be done in phases either if we don't
get it done during the SoC.

Anyway, I was just trying to save you some time, letting you know that your
flag patch would probably not make it into SVN.  I created Recording Groups
and will be the mentor for the Multi-User SoC project if we accept an
application it, so I don't want to see things going into SVN now that would
end up getting ripped out later.

--
Chris