[mythtv] ALSA support

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Tue May 9 06:53:14 UTC 2006

Lee Revell wrote:

>On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 13:39 -0600, Robert Johnston wrote:
>

>>On 5/8/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
>>

>>>What are the plans to add native ALSA support to MythTV?  It's becoming
>>>an FAQ on the ALSA lists - users want software mixing and volume control
>>>which we can't give them as long as MythTV is OSS-only.
>>>

>>Erm... MythTV supports ALSA just fine. You simply have to define the
>>sound devices as ALSA:<yourdevicehere>.
>>

>OK thanks!  I'm not a user just forwarding the question from the alsa
>list.  Sorry for the noise.

Well, if it's becoming an FAQ then fair enough.

Probably the issue is that it's reasonably obvious that you need to
change the sound output device when switching to alsa, but it's more
subtle what you put into the mixer device box.  I guess more could be
done here to make it user friendly, but I seem to recall that there is
some help text printed giving some clues?

Ed W