[mythtv] dtv_privatetypes

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed May 24 16:32:01 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 12:06 -0400, Yeasah Pell wrote:
> >As current SDTs, or other SDTs? The scanner ignores other SDTs.
> I'm honestly not sure how to tell the difference. Is that determined by
> the current_next_indicator? All the SDTs are set to "1" (valid now) -- I
> could send you a dvbsnoop log if you'd like, though it'd be pretty
> large. It's somewhat irrelevant though, because...
The table id is different, 0x42 vs. 0x46.

> >I doubt the broadcaster doesn't send out the current SDT more often
> >than the other SDT's.
> ...the 30 second interval was measured *between SDTs that are for the
> current multiplex* -- that means you WILL be waiting up to 30 seconds
> for any SDT that is interesting to you, probably on average around 15
> seconds.
Yuk! Well we can handle this, please open a ticket with the relevant
info and assign it to me.

> >>Is PAT/PMT based tuning and scanning still available in some fashion?
> >This is unlikely at the moment, the privatetypes table was not
> >extensible to do the needs of eitfixups and the one line in siscan
> >is not sufficient justification for all that privatetypes baggage.
> So because the table wasn't flexible enough for one particular use case
> it should be discarded and replaced with hardcoded values in the program
> code? I'm not sure what eliminating the table saved, even if there's
> only one special-case line that is used *right now*.
It wasn't flexible enough for any of the places it was still used
except for a case in siscan that could be handled with one line of code!
Thousands of lines of code distributed over a half dozen files to
support a bunch of undocumented hacks most of which were irrelevant
vs. one line of code, what do you expect me to say? BTW 99% the code
that used the table is gone, the privatetypes support code would have
needed to be ported to the new code. Any additional discussion of
the undocumented hacks table will be ignored by me.

-- Daniel