[mythtv] diseqc

Yeasah Pell yeasah at schwide.com
Fri May 26 17:30:20 UTC 2006

>I think it is safe to assume that the device is not in timbuktu
>while mythbackend is running. DVBChannel is in the closed state,
>it is not deleted, when functioning in this mode; so you can keep
>the state there. I figure if anyone is using other programs with
>a MythTV device while mythbackend is running is playing with
>fire anyway... The backend machine shouldn't be restarted too
>often normally. When it is, it's good to assume nothing so that
>restarting the backend can function as a full reset.

Just so you know what we're talking about here (I'm not sure if you have
a rotor and you might not know how fast they turn generally), worst case
motor movement time assuming 2 degrees/sec would be 75 seconds, though
you can cut that down somewhat for any given destination (as low as 37.5
if you want to move to 0 degrees). I doubt anybody has a 150 degree view
with active positions at the extremes, but you're talking 37.5-75
seconds if you assume the worst case -- and some motors are slower than
that even.

I'm not sure exactly what the signal monitor will be doing with the
approximate position information. Presumably we'll want to display that
on the OSD (several people seem excited about that idea), and presumably
it will be used as part of tuning decisions as well. As long as the
signal monitor doesn't do anything that actually prevents tuning of a
signal for the 37.5-75 seconds that the position is unknown, I'm fine
with leaving the persistent position feature out.

It might make sense for the signal monitor to treat a motor with unknown
position as if there were no motor at all, thus falling back to the same
behavior that exists right now during that window of startup?