[mythtv] CD/DVD/Writer Detection and Idea

Matthew Wire devel at mrwire.co.uk
Sat May 27 18:25:24 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 17:35 +1000, Aaron McCarthy wrote:
> On Saturday 27 May 2006 04:00, Matthew Wire wrote:
> > What I am suggesting is that some sort of cd detection class is created
> > that can be used for all detection needs.  It would need methods such as
> > getCDDriveList, isCD, isDVD, isCDWriter, isDVDWriter (or similar).  This
> > would make cd device selection much simpler in my opinion and the user
> > would not have to deal with device names.
> > For IDE devices, device names can be mapped to the description
> > in /proc/ide/hd*/model.  There must be a similar method for scsi, usb
> > drives.
> > Not sure how/if this would want integration with mythmediamonitor or
> > not?
> > Not sure if USB/Firewire cd devices would show up
> > in /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info?
> > Also, not sure where this would want to be implemented as yet, though if
> > I read the developer docs a little better I should be able to get a
> > better idea - any help welcome though!
> >
> > Please note that I am quite happy to code this myself, but I want to
> > throw it into the open first to get some opinions and ideas.
>
> You wont need to do that.  Here is the code that does it.  I wrote this ages
> ago to go along with some changes to MythGallery to archive photos to DVD.
> These may not apply to latest SVN anymore.

Updated versions of Aaron's patches to compile against latest SVN.
cdwriters.diff - Adds cd-writer preferences to general setup screen.

cd-capabilities.diff - Add methods for querying cd drives and obtaining
capabilities.
I've added a method getDeviceString and modified detectCapabilities to
allow a isDVDReader property to be used.  getOpticalDevices now takes
two parameters: writeableOnly and dvdOnly.

mythdvd-cddetect.diff - Adds the above detection routines to mythdvd for
dvd and vcd devices.

Please take a look at this code, especially my additions (this is the
first time I've used Qt and it's a while since I've used c++ so I've
probably done some silly things...).  If the code appears ok I'll write
patches for the rest of the plugins to use the detection code.

Thanks,
Matthew Wire