[mythtv] mpeg4 H.264 over dvb in UK

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Sat May 27 18:43:52 UTC 2006

> Neither channel will play though - the ffmpeg decoder isn't happy with the
> h.264 stream. Looks like every ffmpeg based solution fails (e.g vlc,
> mplayer etc). I've only managed to decode with one Windows app on my work
> laptop (at 3 fps!) and I'm not even close to understanding the h264 codec
> enough to  debug it...

For those of you interested, I've managed to get some streams playing using
mplayer.

I used the latest cvs versions of both ffmpeg and mplayer with the following
patch applied to ffmpeg:-

http://students.washington.edu/lorenm/src/x264/ffh264_mbaff.0.diff

Quality appears to be pretty good but I'd guess I'm only getting 12-15 fps
(Ahtlon XP3000+, 1 Gig RAM, FX6200). Trying to get vlc up and running now
but applying the patch directly to the mythtv source doesn't work as yet.

Mark