[mythtv] ATSC Minor Subchannel Chopped Off

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue May 30 14:57:43 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 02:05 -0400, mythtv-dev+list at monmotha.net wrote:
> Two options:
> *Expand the bitfield to 10 bits, giving room for all 999 possible
> subchannels.  This would be in line with the current method
> *Don't pack the major/minor and instead use two columns.  This is what I
> would consider more sensible and it has the bonus of making things
> easier to see for people who for whatever reason need to talk to the
> database directly
>
> Unfortunately, either one of these effectively changes the DB schema.  I
> haven't tried either of them, but this certainly seems to be the problem
> given the log messages and behavior I'm seeing.  If there is a preferred
> solution, I can make the change and test things out locally before a
> patch is committed.  Only ATSC users should be affected by the change
> from what I can tell (though someone who actually knows the DVB code
> should confirm this).

The plan has been to move to two numeric columns in the channel table:
   major_channel, minor_channel
So that would be the way to go. You will need to add a conversion
query to dbcheck.cpp after adding the columns so that everyone
in ATSC land doesn't have to rescan for channels. Make sure you
catch all the uses of atscsrcid.

-- Daniel