[mythtv] Aspect ratios and non-linear stretching

Peter Lee peter at leeonline.us
Wed Nov 1 13:31:53 UTC 2006

On 10/31/06, Sean McVeigh <mythtv at beerbot.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
> New to the list, fairly new to MythTV.  I'm looking to add support for a
> non-linear 4:3 --> 16:9 stretch mode to the display code, and am just
> fishing for opinions.
> (this is the sort of mode supported by some HDTV sets whereby the
> scaling ratio is 1.0 at the center of the screen, but as you approach
> the left and right extremes, a scaling factor > 1.0 slowly kicks in.  I
> almost always use this viewing mode when watching 4:3 content on my 16:9
> set -- but sadly it is only supported for SD inputs).

Hi.  Just wanted to say that I would love to see this get done.  Like
you, I almost always use this mode when watching 4:3 content.  But, as
you say, the mode on the display is available only for the SD inputs.
I brought up the possibility of providing this mode natively in Mythtv
about two years ago, but not much discussion ensued.  Perhaps the time
is better now...

Peter