[mythtv] development process

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Oct 3 00:04:23 UTC 2006

Last week, I came across a previously observed bug in mythreplex,
learned how to build Myth, isolated the bug, added the information to
TRAC, and proposed a fix in the email list.

My suggested fix has been ignored without comment.  Another fix has
been adopted, so that is OK.  Except that I think that my fix is
cleaner.

One trouble with my fix is that it was more extensive: I rewrote a
routine instead of changing the callers to work around its bug.  My
rewritten routine is simpler than the original.

How should I have proceeded to get my fix adopted?

Without a test suite, it seems very likely that fixes could introduce
new bugs.  Has any thought been given to adding a test suite?

PS: in my brief experience with Myth source, I've seen a number of
small things that could be improved.  Not worth destablizing the
programs, but stylistic improvements that I should have long-erm
benefits in readability and maintainability.  Is there a consensus of
"if it ain't broke don't fix it", or, alternatively, "lets polish this
thing until it shines"?