[mythtv] Questions about which components are meant for FE and BE

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Sat Oct 14 16:05:21 UTC 2006

Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> says:
> Despite this observation and an earlier misguided reply, these
> jobs can be run from a backend where the show was recorded
> (which makes the most sense), a different backend, a frontend
> only, a combined frontend and backend machine or a machine that
> normally doesn't run either.

[Snip]

> Include all the libraries, executable, theme files, docs, contrib
> scripts, etc. when installing "mythtv".

As the person who wrote the earlier misguided reply, Bruce is
absolutely correct. I should have noted, as he did that, on any system
with the horsepower to serve as a MythTV component, MythTV's binaries
are hardly worth installing or uninstalling based on how much disk
size they take up. Moving mythcommflag and mythtranscode to
mythtv-backend, as I suggested, only makes sense *if one insists on
maintaining two frontend and backend RPMs*, and as Bruce details, it
really doesn't. So, let's hope that mythtv-frontend and mythtv-backend
both amalgamate into the existing mythtv RPM.