[mythtv] Possible bug with MythArchive menus

Simon Dyson sdyson at themaelstrom.co.uk
Sat Oct 21 12:01:48 UTC 2006

Paul Harrison wrote:
> Russell Mora wrote:
>
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> Yes, I noticed this as well.  I did a lot of work to ensure that the
>> input png files and the generated mpegs were scaled correctly but when
>> it still didn't work on my player I just assumed that my player was
>> not handling it correctly.  Assuming that it is not the same player
>> (my external player is just a cheap Cyberhome 300S) this indicates
>> that the code is still perhaps not right.  Has anyone else had success
>> with 16:9 menus?
>>
>> In any case the simple work-around is to just set the menus to be 4:3
>> in the mytharchive settings.  If you want to get the menus working my
>> guess is that the dpi setting for the overlay png files needs to be
>> different for 16:9 menus (though I thought I had already set this
>> correctly...)
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Russell.
>>
> It seems to depend on the player. My main player is a Panasonic which
> works fine. I recently dug out an old JVC for testing and found it works
> fine for 4:3 menus but doesn't work properly for 16:9 menus. As you say
> the highlight image doesn't line up with the background so there's
> definitely something wrong somewhere.  It may be something to do with
> the dpi of the image but it looks like the PIL imaging library ignores
> the dpi setting passed to the save function.
>
> Now that I can reproduce it there is a good chance that  I can fix it
> but I'm actually taking a break from Myth for a while to work on other
> things so it won't be for a while. I guess I really need to find some
> specs on what exactly the format of the highlight image should be.
>
> Paul H

My own player is a 2 year old Sony. It wasn't particularly cheap (as
with most Sony's) so I doubt it is a problem with the player. Glad it's
not just happening to me though. I don't have much experience with dvd
authoring but if I get a chance I'll have a play with it, see if I can
figure anything out.

Simon