[mythtv] Aspect ratios and non-linear stretching

Sean McVeigh mythtv at beerbot.ca
Tue Oct 31 22:36:05 UTC 2006

Hi,
New to the list, fairly new to MythTV.  I'm looking to add support for a
non-linear 4:3 --> 16:9 stretch mode to the display code, and am just
fishing for opinions.
(this is the sort of mode supported by some HDTV sets whereby the
scaling ratio is 1.0 at the center of the screen, but as you approach
the left and right extremes, a scaling factor > 1.0 slowly kicks in.  I
almost always use this viewing mode when watching 4:3 content on my 16:9
set -- but sadly it is only supported for SD inputs).
It's my understanding from a quick skim through the code that display
aspect ratios (the W-key stuff) are just handled by altering the
geometry passed to the X blitter.  Short of writing a new X-blitter, or
a filter plugin, it would seem that a reasonable approach would be to
hook in somewhere before Show(), ie. ProcessFrame() and generate frames
with a new geometry.
I'd rather not explicitly do it as a filter, since it's my understanding
that filters can't be arbitrarily enabled and disabled at runtime with
the press of a button.  (if that's not the case, please let me know).
Also, I am unsure as to whether filters work with frame images in-place
or can return new frames with new geometries.. haven't read that far
into things.

Anyhow... opinions on the cleanest approach, maintainability and
useability-wise would be appreciated :)

Cheers,
Sean