[mythtv] firewire tester

Andrew Casper andrew at andrewcasper.com
Thu Sep 14 01:40:42 UTC 2006

On Sep 13, 2006, at 8:21 PM, Jim Westfall wrote:

> it should be ok to run while backend is running, so long as its not
> recording with the node you are testing.

Thanks John - that pointed me in the right direction. Unfortunately
it didn't fix my issue.

Since you seem to be the firewire guru, I have a issue that you might
be able to solve...

I've got a DCT-6200 and 14 HD channels on my plan. MythTV has no
trouble tuning 10 channels. The other 4 are on a special HD package
from my provider and are a little problematic. Before .20, if MythTV
could lock to the broadcast stream on one of the 4, I would get about
a minute of broken up picture before the backend would just stop. At
the same time, the backend log would fill with TS packet out of sync
errors. Now with .20, I see FireRec, Error: TS packet out of sync but
the backend doesn't crash. CPU usage is not an issue

I checked the service menus on the DCT-6200 and none of the channels
has 5c. MythTV seems to like broadcast mode at 200 Mbs.

I tried to recompile the kernel (2.6.17-2174) with your dma.diff
firewire fix (hand edited it as the diff doesn't like the current
kernel), but the compile kicked and error when it got your last
change (too many variables?).

So, would the firewire kernel fix help this? Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance.

- Andrew