[mythtv] packed image format and new deinterlacers

Markus Schulz msc at antzsystem.de
Fri Sep 15 20:33:30 UTC 2006

Hello,

i'm currently study the mythtv source. I'm looking for the chance to get
some alternative deinterlacers working. Especially the DScaler Greedy
High Motion deinterlacer was one of my main interests.

But there are some problems, currently only planar pixel formats are
supported with mythtv. This results in big changes to all DScaler
Plugins or worde results (call on each plane would result in worse
output, cause code is written for packed data).
I'm sure i can expand the convert plugin to convert the framebuffer data
to yuy2 packed format and back again after running deinterlacer. But
this badly affects performance.

Next problem was that most of Dscaler Deinterlacers needs the up to 6
precedent fields (3 Frames). But each plugin only gets the current
frame. Now i can save each frame inside plugin, but this also bates
performance.

Furthermore i don't understand the frames a plugin will get for
interlaced material. It looks so if i get only 25 fps (50Hz PAL
Material) full frames weaved together. It would be nice to get the
fields at 50Hz weaved (similar to current bob algo) with alternate
top/botton field first.

Perhaps this would clear with the following:

Currently i got: (25FPS for PAL)
Plugin Call: Frame with Field 1 + 2
Plugin Call: Frame with Field 3 + 4

Nice would: (50FPS)
Plugin Call: Frame with Field 1 + 2 (top first)
Plugin Call: Frame with Field 2 + 3 (bottom first)
Plugin Call: Frame with Field 3 + 4 (top first) ...

It would be nice to hear some comments on this, i would like to put some
of the DScaler deinterlacers into mythtv. But at least the frame
history is a must have for this.

Any Suggestions?

--
Markus Schulz