[mythtv] Sorting in mythvideo

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Sep 16 20:21:55 UTC 2006

On 09/16/06 16:01, Alexander Gretencord wrote:

>I have a small problem with mythvideo's sorting. I found the method
>eatBraces() in metadata.cpp. Is it absolutely necessary to remove braces
>or if it just cosmetic?
>
>All my old movies (the ones I have from before installing myth) are
>named like "[season-episode] TitleOfSeries - TitleOfEpisode". I would
>really like to be able to watch episode 09-04 without knowing the name
>of the episode :) Especially very handy if you are not living alone and
>someone else is adding new episodes and you want to find the new episode
>quickly (impossible with eatBraces, you have to go through _all_ the
>episodes and look at the filename).
>
>I guess the []-removal is fine, if you have a relatively unsorted
>movie/series collection but for me it's a real pain :) For now I just
>recompiled mythvideo without calling eatBraces('[', ']'). Does anyone
>have a suggestion on how to best resolve this issue without disturbing
>anyone that counts on myth removing braces? Or is it best to just store
>the patch somewhere safe and reapply on new versions of myth?

It was put in place to allow the /default/ name chosen for a video to be
created without "extraneous" information.  For example, if you've broken
a show into multiple CD-sized chunks, you should name videos
"Showname_[cd1].avi" or something.

Note, also, that I said, the default name.  You can edit this name in
MythVideo's metadata editor.  If you don't want to edit all the names,
you could use a simple script to rename all your files to use some other
separator (such as a dash or underscore) or you can patch your local
version of MythVideo.

Mike