[mythtv] XvMC VLD Decoding stuttering problems on some videos

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Fri Sep 22 19:42:29 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have been using MythTv 0.16 with little problem for a long time but
now have "upgraded" to 0.20. However I am having problems with the XvMC
VLD decoding. Basically the system works but there is quite a lot of
stuttering in the video and audio on some stored video.

My systems client is a Via M10K system running a relatively virgin
Fedora Core 5 installation. The server is also running Fedora Core 5 and
has a couple of DVB-T tuner cards.

Xine is running fine with about 11% CPU usage so the hardware/OS/drivers
appear to be fine.

I have been doing some testing using the "mythtv" application with a
stored file. With some videos there is no stuttering: see Works
attachment but with some videos there is a lot of stuttering: see
Glitches. With the working video the system uses about 40% CPU and with
the bad video about 60% CPU. These are rather high CPU figures compared
with Xine.

Does anyone have any clues on where to look to solve this problem ?

Cheers

Terry