[mythtv] Fast Forward broken and shows not flagged

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Apr 1 17:27:53 UTC 2007

On 04/01/2007 09:36 AM, Poobah wrote:
> I figured mine out - it was the DST change.  My backend machine got
> patched (to make sure the shows recorded at the right time), but not the
> frontend.  I hadn't run a emerge world on it in some time, cause if it
> ain't broke, don't fix it ;-)

Or, if you don't know it's broken, don't fix it?  ;)

> The Gentoo instructions say to copy the timezone information file from
> /usr/share/zoneinfo to /etc/localtime.  It really should be a link...
> i.e. ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Denver /etc/localtime.

Not any more (on any distro, really).  The appropriate way is to copy
the file.  This is even a Gentoo-specific thread explaining it:

How to update:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/180381

Why no symlink (and what to do to make sure it's handled for you next
time--after the DOE decides there was no energy benefit to the DST
switch and the politicians change it back or choose some other random
change ;):
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/180382

Where he means "might not be."

So, the docs are actually right.  Your solution will work on some
systems, but is less "robust" and, therefore, not the preferred solution.

Mike