[mythtv] Disable software encoder to record as raw video format

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Thu Apr 12 02:05:30 UTC 2007

> Is it possible to disable software encoder to not use mpeg2 or mpeg4
> when  recording video? I would like to record as raw format.

Proper RAW capture isn't possible, because all the consumer
video cards capture in compressed color space (YUV420 or similar).

It is possible to modify MythTV to record files in this
format, but you will find the files are excessively large.
I suspect the IO load will offset and CPU encoding savings.
(e.g. 640x480x30fps = 9.1MB/s assuming that
       the color data is compressed into 1 byte)

To simulate what this would be like, take your current setup
and turn the compression on NUV/MJPEG all the way down,
and the resolution all the way up. Then record a few
minutes of a programme, and then try and play it back.

I think you will find that your machine can't keep up.

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel at ind.tansu.com.au|     "They did the
Telstra Net. Eng., Sydney, Australia | white man power dance,