[mythtv] virtual tuner via BitTorrent plug-in

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Apr 13 22:41:07 UTC 2007

On Apr 13, 2007, at 3:34 PM, Johan wrote:

> Martin Long wrote:
>> I agree with Isaac and Rob on this. Whilst projects such as
>> azureus are
>> not illegal as such, they promote activities which may strictly
>> speaking
>> be outside of the law. Myth has always been a squeaky clean
>> project, and
>> it's not worth sacrificing that for something which can only be
>> considered 'auxilliary' functionality.
>
> I might point out that in some countries (Australia included) it is
> strictly-speaking illegal to record broadcast TV shows on OTA channels
> (at least that used to be the law, but IANAL so it may have changed in
> the last decade).
>
> So in a way, Myth also "promotes activities which may strictly
> speaking
> be outside of the law" :)
>
> Johan.

I don't think that's the case. Myth does not encourage Australians to
perform any such activities. In fact, I believe you have to get some
3rd party script to get listings for Australian content providers.
I'm not Australian so I never bothered looking into it, but from the
posts I've seen that seems to be the case. Any discussion of it is
purely for academic purposes - the theory of what it would take to
institute that sort of technology. Just like ripping commercial DVD's
in the US is not promoted by myth, but in countries where it's legal
they make it a whole lot easier.