[mythtv] ffmpeg sync

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Apr 18 20:05:12 UTC 2007

Janne Grunau wrote:
> Updated patch: http://www.grunau.be/ffmpeg_sync_8742_13272.diff.bz2

I've been looking for potential problems for MPEG-4 recording
and playback and so far it looks good. I've recorded some
high motion sports that initially don't have obvious broken
frames but I'll go through these at length to see if there are
any artifacts. One initial observation is that MPEG-4 decoding
appears to take more CPU time than before but I need to do a
fair test to prove if that is true or even significant.

The only obvious problem I can see right away is not with MPEG-4
but MPEG-2 from ivtv. If I go to Watch TV and "Y" to an ivtv
card then press the up arrow to change channels every few seconds,
about half the time there are broken frame between the old and
new channel playback. These appear to be broken frame artifacts
from the old channel before playback starts for the new channel.
Next, if I hit left arrow, or any other button that will back up
into the previous channel recorded, the current channel image
will break up before playback restarts from the other recorded
file.

--  bjm