[mythtv] Mythtv Gui

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 16:35:56 UTC 2007

On 4/19/07, Justin Hornsby <justin.hornsby at gmail.com> wrote:
> Isn't it always the case that whenever somebody says "no offence
> but.." the end result is people get offended?
>
> So you've yet to see a UI design that takes your breath away.. how
> many commercial DVRs have such UIs?  How many commercial PC-based PVRs
> have them?  Not MCE that's for sure (if it does, you're too easily
> impressed).
>
> I'm not sure how many professional graphic designers have rolled out
> themes for MythTV but I can't count myself one of them - yet my themes
> are very popular.  And *why* did I start making themes?  Ah yes I
> remember - there didn't seem to be any that appealed to my taste (what
> there is of it).  Goes without saying that if you think all themes
> could be better, maybe you should have a go!
>
> Mepo-wide neatly kicked all of my efforts into a heap for so many
> reasons, but that's only an impetus to improve my own doodlings.  It
> certainly opened my eyes as to what's possible with the existing UI
> code.

I wouldn't say Mepo-wide is that great, its got some neat features
(animations), but its a huge waste of screen space, and displays some
information in the wrong place which limits the more important
information (file size in the watch recordings list which means I get
about 1/3 the number of characters listing the show name and episode
title).
I've been using your Blootube theme and really like it, nice and
clean, good use of space, etc. I'm using my own OSD theme though =)

> I tend to agree that the MythTV GUI does have a bit of catching up to
> do with other projects & products but when all is said & done, visual
> effects are little more than *fluff*.  Fancy animations can take time
> to draw, time to clear off the screen & generally slow down the user
> no matter how fast they are.

So far the only thing I've seen other interfaces do that Myth "can't"
is the animated transitions. To me this doesn't make them all that
better. What some of them do that Myth can do, but currently doesn't,
has more to do with format, structure, and organization.

The video of the music browsing is obviously great to look at, but
until someone takes a crack and rewriting the MythMusic interface we
won't see anything like this. Not that it can't be done, but the
current dev's have enough on their plate, someone new has to come in
with the specific intent of doing the work. Plenty has been written on
this list about this subject with lots of ideas.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!