[mythtv] thoughts: using XvMC as a generic mpeg2 decoder?

Ben Osheroff ben at gimbo.net
Tue Apr 24 07:23:55 UTC 2007

I've been itching to write some filter plugins for myth, things like
trying to get a good auto-crop filter going, and maybe trying my hand at
a "smart bob" deinterlacer, stuff like that.  However, I watch a good
deal of HD content, and in general really need to use XvMC on my
relatively low-powered little box, so the filters I've been thinking of
writing would be fairly useless.

I've been thinking of writing a little test program that tries to dive
down into the private_data XvMC pointer and pull out the decoded MPEG-2
content before the nvidia driver pushes it to the screen.  If it worked,
it'd be effectively offloading content decoding to the card, and you'd
be able to apply filters and all that good stuff before actually drawing
to the screen using XV.

I have no idea if this will work.  I suspect not, and if anyone has
already tried this and failed, please let me know before I embark on a
fool's errand.

-ben