[mythtv] How to use mplayer for playing TV in mythTV.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 25 15:03:15 UTC 2007

On 04/25/2007 10:46 AM, Asheesh Chaddha wrote:

>  I am trying to run TV functionality of MythTV using mplayer.
>
>  Presently it is being done by NuppelVideoPlayer. Different methods
>  are written in NuppelVideoPlayer(NVP) for controlling the various
>  operations for TV i.e. Play, Pause, Forward or Rewind.
>
>  I can initiate a separate process for playing TV using mplayer but
>  the main problem is how to control the forward and rewind operations
>  in it (since they need buffering of data which is done by NVP in
>  mythTV).
>
>  Since mplayer for TV doesn't have these options and we are not using
>  NuppelVideoPlayer, so how can this be done. Any pointers in this
>  regard will be appreciated.

Shouldn't you just be using Freevo.  AIUI, MythTV is taking the
"integrate all required functionality into the MythTV application/code"
approach whereas Freevo is taking the "make a UI that exposes many
different applications that each do some part of the work for us"
approach (and Freevo allows you to use either xine or MPlayer for
playback of video).

I personally doubt you'll get a lot of help replacing the Internal
player from the developers who have spent a great deal of time writing
MythTV's video player unless you can provide a /really/ good reason for
doing so.

Mike