[mythtv] Why allow conflicting bindings (was Re: "New" default keybindings)

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 01:01:48 UTC 2007

On 4/26/07, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 07:37:53PM +0100, Martin Long wrote:
> > Would it be possible to have local bindings to override jump points? Local
> > bindings are always more specific, and should really be used in preference.
> > There seems to be no other way of having the Guide key on my remote jump to
> > the TV guide from 'Watch TV' and the scheduling guide from everywhere else.
>
> It appears to be pretty easy.  Just reorder some things in
> TranslateKeyPress().  I'll defer to those who use jump points, though,
> whether or not this is desirable.

Very easy.  I have been using the patch I just submitted for many
months, and it works exactly the way I want it to.

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3363

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 11:10:42PM -0700, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> > It's John P. Poet's work and it's not yet in a ticket; see
> > <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/232494>. I can't
> > test it as it doesn't patch against 0.20-fixes, but I hope John
> > tickets it anyway so as to give it the exposure it deserves. I do use
>
> This isn't too far from what I've been pondering since the subject
> came up again.  John, if you're still around and interested in this
> change, please update it to current SVN and I'll work to get it into
> SVN.
>
> There are two, small additions I would like to see.  First, allow for
> more levels of subcontexts in TranslateKeyPress().  For example, "TV
> Playback/Live/Foo" would check "TV Playback/Live/Foo", "TV
> Playback/Liv", "TV Playback" and "Global", in that order.  Second, add
> a dbcheck.cpp section to fixup any existing bindings that get moved to
> subcontexts.
>
> David

One of the reasons I never formally submitted a ticket with my sub
context patch, I could not figure out "where to stop".  In the version
of the patch I have been using myself, I created:

"TV Playback/DVD"
"TV Playback/Live"
"TV Playback/Rec"

Then I re-ordered TV::ProcessKeypress, so it would try to match the
keypress in one of those "sub-context" before trying the next level
up, etc.

I have though about adding sub contexts to Music as well.  In other
words, something like:

"Music/NextTrack"
"Music/PrevTrack"

etc, so someone could could map CH+/CH- to those functions, and have
Home/End be previous page/next page.  I have not done this, because I
never got around to deciding how I wanted stuff mapped.

The other reason I never formally submitted a patch, is because of the
need to add a section to dbcheck.cpp to fix the old keybindings.

I can work on all of this, but would need some input on what sub
contexts to create.  I would also need help on deciding how the old
keybinding should be mapped under the new scheme.

John