[mythtv] Using my main mythtv box for development

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Fri Apr 27 01:29:29 UTC 2007

* On Fri Apr 27, 2007 at 08:35:57AM +1000, Nigel Pearson wrote:
> > And then you might need two databases, as
> > the backend tends to upgrade the database when it appears out-of-date
>
> I do that by having a sprinkling of mysql.txt files through
> my source tree that have mythconverg2 instead of mythconverg.
>
> It didn't help much with backend testing, or when I ran a
> myth app from a directory that _doesn't_ contain a mysql.txt,
> though. Schemas got updated, WAF decreased, et c.

Separate users each with their own ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt.  My mythtv
production systems all run as user 'mythtv'.  On my dev machine
and dev slave VM, I run programs as myself.  I don't have
accidental upgrades that way, in fact it's just the opposite.  I
sometime login to a production machine as myself and have to either
log out or su to the mythtv user to connect to the production DB.

--
Chris