[mythtv] Noob linux developer question

Janne Grunau janne-mythtv at grunau.be
Fri Apr 27 10:23:08 UTC 2007

On Friday 27 April 2007 09:27:43 Matt Doran wrote:

> The changes I'm making are in libmythtv.  If I recompile the library
> I need to do a "make install" so that when testing the binaries
> pickup new version of the library.  This is a little annoying.

Do you know that you can run make from subdirectories. I.e "make -C
libs/libmythtv && make -C libs/libmythtv install". That let's make
first change the directory to libs/libmythtv and runs ten. But it won't
avoid the most annoying point of changing libmythtv, the link time.
Copying the libraries and header just takes 1-2 seconds.

> Is it possible to change some configuration so that when testing a
> binary (like mythshutdown), it uses the just compiled version of the
> shared library, instead of the installed one?

Yes, of course. man LD_LIBRARY_PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${mythtv_source_path}/libs/libmythtv" mythshutdown will
do it.

HTH Janne