[mythtv] Noob linux developer question

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Fri Apr 27 10:30:09 UTC 2007

* On Fri Apr 27, 2007 at 05:27:43PM +1000, Matt Doran wrote:
> The changes I'm making are in libmythtv.  If I recompile the library I
> need to do a "make install" so that when testing the binaries pickup new
> version of the library.  This is a little annoying.

Run your "make && sudo make install" inside the libmythtv directory
and it makes it a lot less painful since it only install the one
library and doesn't have to relink all the executables. :)  Eventually
it will relink them all when you run make from the main source directory.

You can do this as long as you're not changing anything that would
require a recompile of any code in the executables, such as changing
a function definition or class.  As long as you're just editting code
in pre-existing functions/methods inside libmythtv then you can just
install the library itself and your existing executables should run
fine with the new library.

Also, if you compile a lot, you'll want to check into using 2 programs:
ccache and distcc.  ccache will cache the output of your compiles, so
it will save you lots of time over the long run if you recompile the
same unchanged files (like when you re-run configure and need to do a
clean make).  distcc allows you to distribute compile jobs across
servers, so you can take advantage of other hardware you have access
to.  I run distcc across 3 servers (counting my workstation) when I
compile MythTV on my dev box.

--
Chris