[mythtv] high cpu load for xorg with 50fps playback

Markus Schulz msc at antzsystem.de
Fri Apr 27 13:59:54 UTC 2007

Hello,

i've written a full-framerate patch for mythtv and have integrated the
adaptive dscaler greedy high motion deinterlacer (taken from xine-lib).

In general it runs nice and perfectly smooth for all interlaced
material.
But i have an ugly problem, if i'm run the patched myth on a 50Hz
display (DFP-beamer) xorg sometimes (rather often) consumes much cpu
power (max load on a single core). Running on my CRT with 75Hz or 100Hz
there is no problem.
Looks like a problem when running with FPS == Refresh Rate.

I've taken some strace logs from xorg, in error case there were 35000
calls per second to gettimeofday from xorg?!? Normally the rate is much
much lower.

Anyone has an idea whats the reason for this high rate of gettimeofday
calls? The cpu time goes to xorg instead of mythtfrontend, therefore
should it has to do with xv-calls? What can i do further to analyse
this problem?

--
Markus Schulz