[mythtv] Ubuntu debs

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Fri Aug 10 05:50:53 UTC 2007

On Friday 10 August 2007 1:12:47 am Ilya V. Ivanchenko wrote:
> To answer your questions, I indicated the steps I made in the README.
> All plugins that I know of build OK, including new plugins (mythmovies
> & mythzoneminder), but I did not test new ones at all, and did very
> limited tests on the whole suite. Thats where community could pick it
> up, since I will not have time to maintain it. Again, it will be great
> if it gets checkedd into svn. Perhaps one of developers can see to
> that.  I've created http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3812 with tarball
> attached to facilitate it.

Packaging scripts don't really belong in up-stream sources.
- A release will, by definition, generally have an outdated packaging script.
(There's usually more than one version of a package per upstream release).
Any user using a release and the included script will either build an
outdated version, or need to update the packaging script somehow.
- It's even worse for just normal development work in SVN - unless the person
maintaining the script has write access and is very diligent about keeping
things up-to date, stuff's going to be broken often.

So instead of distributing known broken bits, it's better, IMO, to keep
packaging scripts separate.

Isaac