[mythtv] backend shuts down when it loses contact with frontend.

Doug Goldstein cardoe at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 15:44:29 UTC 2007

On 6/8/07, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>    I'm wondering if this is a known problem?
>
>    I have a remote frontend machine that connects to the backend over
> a wireless network. I've seen a repeatable problem where if I lose
> power on the frontend's wireless router, for even a second or two,
> that the backend shuts down and I have to completely restart it by
> hand.
>
>    Before someone says 'don't lose power', which I agree with, it
> seems to happen in pretty much any case where the backend breaks
> communication with the frontend, such as really high network traffic.
>
>    I'm running mythtv-0.20.1_p13344 on a Gentoo 32-bit machine using
> the following flags:
>
> [ebuild   R   ] media-tv/mythtv-0.20.1_p13344  USE="alsa dvb dvd ivtv
> mmx perl vorbis xvmc (-altivec) -autostart -backendonly -crciprec
> -dbox2 -debug -dts -freebox -frontendonly -hdhomerun -ieee1394 -jack
> -joystick -lcd -lirc -opengl" VIDEO_CARDS="i810 -nvidia -via" 0 kB
>
>    There don't seem to be any messages of interest in
> /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log.
>
>    If there is a newer version that addresses this problem I'd like to
> upgrade.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

You should have something in your log files. You might want to also consider
looking at /etc/conf.d/mythbackend and enabling some more debugging to be
written to that file.

The backend shouldn't stop when the frontend disappears, at least it doesn't
for me if I kill the frontend.

--
Doug Goldstein
Gentoo Linux Developer