[mythtv] Channel scanning/validation in trunk (feedback post r14355)

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 13:58:36 UTC 2007

On 8/30/07, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> Anyway, I'm not looking for feedback on the channel scanner anymore
> than usual. At the moment I'm more interested in whether the channel
> validation prevents channels from being added to the a Video Source
> when they should be added, or adds channels when it shouldn't be
> adding them. If someone is using esoteric recorders like DBOX2 or
> IPTV, or using a diverse collection of recorder types, feedback is
> especially appreciated.
>
> -- Daniel

Would this improvement also apply to a HDHomeRun and QAM channels?  I
haven't ran a scan in a while, mostly because I'm afraid of going
through the tedious task of finding all the "valid" channels.  My
cable source (Comcast in Houston) has a lot of SD QAM channels (most
of the "basic" and "digital" tiers), and quite a few of the HD
channels (OTA, and a few  others like ESPNHD, UniversalHD, and MTVHD).
 So that's a lot of xmltvid's to put in.  But, last time I ran the
scanner (couple months ago?), it also pulled in a load of channels
that won't play in the frontend (I did have it set to ignore encrypted
channels).  Each time a channel won't play, I'd get dumped back to the
main menu, and have to try again on the next channel.  I still haven't
gone through and deleted the invalid channels from my guide, so it
looks quite messy.

I've recently updated to trunk just after the 0.20.2 tagging, so I'd
be willing to go through it all again if that helps (and if it means I
might end up with a cleaned out channel list finally). Maybe taking a
backup of my channel table would be smart first, just in case.  I'm
fairly comfortable with SQL.  I do not want reinsert most of those
xmltvid's again if I can avoid it.

Thanks,
Willy