[mythtv] MythTV on Windows

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Wed Dec 5 21:26:48 UTC 2007

On Dec 5, 2007 3:22 PM, Charles Mason <charlie.mas at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2007 8:47 PM, Jochen Kühner <jochen.kuehner at gmx.de> wrote:
> > there is also mythtvplayer for windows...
> >

> Its true but its not the same as a proper "10 foot" / "from the sofa"
> GUI. Its like comparing Windows Media Player with Windows Media
> Center, they are designed to do different things despite the fact they
> both basically just play video.
>
> Thats not to say mythtvplayer & VLC + Tapeworm don't have there place.
> They are very handy for quickly accessing a single recording. But its
> not the same as being able to get the Frontend on every major platform
> Linux, Mac and Windows.
>
> The Backend is not so important because people tend to use another
> machine dedicated as a backend or some times as a set top box. Either
> way they can choose what ever OS they want to use.

I'm waiting patiently for the backend services.  I recently bought a great
deal on an HP media center machine for my desktop and it includes a
Hauppague HD tuner.  I know it will be hard to get this working in Linux due
to lack of drivers so I'd love to have a mini-backend service I can run on
the Windows box as an overflow tuner rather than building yet another
backend just for one more card.  My current backend is all out of PCI
slots...

Kevin