[mythtv] DVB-S with no SDT / NIT tables (REDUX)

Dean Pemberton dean at deanpemberton.com
Wed Dec 5 21:30:53 UTC 2007

Hi everyone.

Just over a month ago Steven Ellis made a post here regarding an issue
very important to MythTV users in New Zealand and Australia.  You can
view the post and thread here.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/296989?page=last

In summary the problem is that one DVB-S provider has chosen to
broadcast their content in a way which does not use SDT/NIT tables.
This is FTA content (unscrambled and not restricted) it is unknown why
they do this.

This content can be viewed on a number of STB and other Linux PVR
solutions by inputting the v/a PIDs which are well known and widely
available.  MythTV on the other hand, due to the way that it uses the
PMT/PAT to get the PIDs has no way of allowing a user to enter these by
hand.

There have been a number of suggestions in the previous thread as to how
a solution to this could be implemeted (from DVB PID caching to
hardcoding PIDs for certain channels), but it seems to have lost a bit
of traction.  I'd just like to reiterate that this feature will provide
a large benefit to the majority of DVB-S MythTV users in Aus/NZ and we
are more than willing to provide all the help we can to work out a solution.

Thanks for your help everybody.  Keep up the great work!

Dean