[mythtv] thoughts about the "mythtv sucks" comments... " was "video sources"

Tony Lill ajlill at ajlc.waterloo.on.ca
Wed Dec 5 21:40:37 UTC 2007

hendrixski at storsint.com writes:

>> I guess what i'm trying to say is that in quite a few areas of myth you
>> end up needing a lot of background knowledge. Would these sessions of
>> yours help with this? That I don't know....
>
> Well, I don't want this to be known as my idea, I'm just brainstorming
> publicly.  I know that with Debian packaging the rabit hole goes pretty
> deep, and Ubuntu has a TON of training opportunities to turn newbies into
> valuable contributors, and then sessions to turn valuabla contributors
> into full blown developers.
>
> Would it help?  Shall we find out?  Who's up for giving it a try?

You know, there's this thing that we used to do in the olden days when
dinosaurs still stalked the earth. It's called documentation. When you
wrote some code you put these things called comments in there that
explained what and why you were doing something. That way if someone
else wanted to modify your code they didn't have to reverse-engineer
your whole project.

Maybe if the main contributers took a week off from adding cool new
features and documented some of the danker dungeons of myth, potential
contributers wouldn't get discouraged and give up. Might be a good new
years resolution...

I'll go back to being a grumpy old engineer now..
--
Tony Lill,                         Tony.Lill at AJLC.Waterloo.ON.CA
President, A. J. Lill Consultants        fax/data (519) 650 3571

Understatement of the century:
"Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing a (free) operating
 system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for
 386(486) AT clones"

	- Linus Torvalds, August 1991