[mythtv] Question about how the IP recorder works

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Dec 6 22:57:13 UTC 2007

I had a thought today that since YouTube uses rtsp links (
http://code.google.com/apis/youtube/developers_guide_protocol.html) that you
could, in theory, create a YouTube IP recorder, have a playlist.m3u file
that contains the link to the video you want to watch, and fire up LiveTV
and watch that video.

My question is, how dynamic is the reading of that playlist.m3u in the
recorder?  Does it re-read each time it tunes?  I could easily see this
being integrated with MythNews or pulling this out of MythNews to support a
frontend that re-wrote the playlist.m3u depending on a user input such as
which video to search for, picking from an RSS list feed and then launching
the Myth player tuned to the "YouTube" channel on the IP recorder.

Would this work?  Since I added the basic video enclosure support to the RSS
read in MythNews, I've tried to come up with any way that Myth can be fed
rtsp or other streams and play them using the Internal player.  This could
be one way...

Kevin