[mythtv] [ANNOUNCE] Dropping MySQL v3 and v4 support in SVN

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sat Dec 8 21:41:36 UTC 2007

David Engel wrote:
> This email is being sent to serve as a warning to users that we will
> be dropping support for MySQL v4 and below in SVN beginning Tuesday,
> December 11, 2007.  MySQL v5 will be the minimum supported version
> after that.

To reiterate this, state a few things 'the other way around'
and point out a few details, we will 'support' MySQL 5.x or
later in MythTV version 0.21 and later.

MythTV has supported MySQL version 3.23 as a minimum standard
for several years. Compatibility issues for version 5.x were
resolved nearly two years ago. Most Linux distributions have
offered MySQL 5.x for a long time and most mythtv users are
currently using 5.x whether they know it or not. To verify:

$ mysqld --version

If your version is 5.x, g'day.

--  bjm

For the few that remain, in order to take advantage of some
optimizations and resolve some workarounds, code changes will
use features that were not yet available in 3.23. Currently,
there are no plans for any change that would fail for the
last release of 4.x and succeed for 5.0.0 so later versions
of 4.x may continue to work for some time. However, we will not
test or resolve bugs related to versions 3.x or 4.x. Therefore,
upgrade to version 5.x now for code changes to SVN HEAD starting
this week.

The requirement will not change for 0.20-fixes but 0.21 will
require MySQL 5.x so we recommend that you upgrade your database
and resolve any issues at your convenience in the next few weeks
in anticipation of the 0.21 release no earlier than February 2008.

Although both project names begin with "My", mythtv.org does not
develop or provide support for MySQL software. Before your upgrade,
mythtv.org recommends that you backup your 'mythconverg' database:

If you have any questions, concerns, issues, need troubleshooting
or hand holding help for your MySQL upgrade, please seek assistance
from the authoritative resources at http://www.mysql.org/ .