[mythtv] Apple TV support (heartbeat to riptide/watchdog)?

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Mon Dec 10 05:12:47 UTC 2007

>First, the rationale: the Apple TV is a great platform to run
>mythfrontend.  However, there is a "heartbeat" that is issued by the
>normally-running Finder process every minute or so.  If the system
>(riptide and watchdog processes, I believe) don't get a heartbeat
>for 5 minutes, the machine reboots.  For mythfrontend to run, the
>Finder must be quit.  I have been unable to disable the
>ripstop/watchdog process to stop the rebooting.
>
>Now, the potential solution: if mythfrontend issued an equivalent
>heartbeat, then the machine wouldn't reboot.  There is a wealth of
>information available at
><http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Watchdog>http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Watchdog
>.  Again, I wish I could do this myself, but alas I need to ask for
>help.

See http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/MythTV. The key to running a
mythfrontend under OSX on the AppleTV is to use the "App Launcher
Plugin" to launch myth. This why you don't have to play around with
watchdog.

For MythTV under linux on the AppleTV see the following;

http://forum.awkwardtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=167
http://forum.awkwardtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=301

the linux forum is useful too
http://forum.awkwardtv.org/viewforum.php?f=23