[mythtv] BBC iPlayer integration (first version/bodge)

Richard Ablewhite richard.ablewhite at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 10:02:08 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

I posted this to mythusers last night but due to the complexity of
getting it setup and the state of the code prob should have gone here.
Last night I finished the first version of my scripts to integrate the
BBC iPlayer into MythTV.

Video is up at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfWAjpRQZEI

As the beeb are using RTMP to stream the video I dont believe there is
a way to extract the video streams or play in anything other than
flash. As a result the best way to continue would be to use the
MythWeb plugin, but its a starting point and works. If we really
restricted to using the flash plugin at least a custom version of the
page could be written, to make things look smoother. That could also
trigger xte mouse events on load instead of just setting a timeout.

I know the added dependencies and creating the menu structure from
scripts isnt very myth, but ive never done any development to the
project before other than scripts and documentation int wiki. It would
be great to grab the thumbnails and vid descriptions, and related to
links but that would require a full plugin to be created.

Its all very basic, but functional. Expect much more polished versions
to appear when I get some time. Ill be interested to see if the beeb
try and thwart efforts to integrate the streams into apps, but by
still using there pages I doubt they will object at the moment.

Documentation is at:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/BBC_iPlayer

Its a very rough method of doing stuff, but hopefully will spark
someone smarter than myself to do a better job :)

Rich