[mythtv] A few patches...

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Fri Dec 21 16:24:09 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 15:39 +0000, Matthew Wire wrote:
> I've submitted a few patches over the last few months which I've been
> keeping up to date with svn.  I'd like to bring attention to them again in
> the hope that some of them may be committed before the 0.21 release.
>
> #3910 Mythshutdown cleanup (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3910):
> This is a code cleanup patch which cleans up mythshutdown and moves
> isRunning to util.h so it can be used elsewhere.  Has no affect on
> functionality.

I've assigned this to myself, to look at in early January.

> #3334 Allow mythtv-setup to use the downloadable icons from the new online
> database (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3334):
> This provides a GUI in mythtv-setup to automatically search for and
> download channel icons.  Can be downloaded per-channel, for all channels
> or for missing only.

Stuart M has this ticket so I'll leave it to him to review it.

> #4184 Auto restart mythbackend mythtv-setup
> (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/4184):
> This patch modifies functionality of the backend reconnect method so that
> it reconnects as soon as the connection becomes available and makes the
> user aware that it is trying to connect.
> Mythtv-setup is also modified so that it can autorun mythfilldatabase if
> desired and asks the user if they wish to stop the backend while running
> mythtv-setup.  If it is not running it will not be restarted
> automatically.
> This allows for completely remote-friendly administration of a myth system!

I noticed some bad formatting "if(", but I'm also concerned about
mythtv-setup shutting down or restarting a backends, does this work
properly when there are multiple backends and frontends? And how do
you make sure mythfilldatabase is run with the correct options
'--remove-new-channels', etc. Also, shouldn't this only be run if new
sources or channels have been added? And, only on the master backend?

> #4025 DVD Eject not working properly
> (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/4025):
> I modified the existing patch here to work in more situations and
> especially on laptop drives.  This was tested by myself across multiple
> machines with different types and numbers of drives and seemed to function
> correctly for me.

I've assigned this to Nigel, I believe he's the person whose done the
most work on the eject code lately...

> PS. Please don't reply to point out that the developers have limited time
> etc.  I am well aware of this and they are more than welcome to ignore
> this email :)

We have limited time :) Heh, I think after the two week mark an e-mail
to the dev list explaining your patches is appropriate. Of course only
after making sure the patches still apply to trunk, as you have done.

-- Daniel