[mythtv] "A", "An", and "The" for sorting - ticket 3048

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 21:44:30 UTC 2007

On 2/7/07, Dan Wilga <mythtv-dev2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:

> - ignore articles and special characters (a, an, the, ".", "...")
> - treat numbers (10,000 Maniacs) as their written equivalent (ten
> thousand)
> - when the band's name is that of a person in the band, alphabetize
> by the last name--but not when the name is unrelated to the band
> members
>
> This last one is the most difficult, since it requires a human being
> to know that Janis Joplin should be alphabetized using "Joplin"
> because that's really her last name, but that Jethro Tull should be
> alphabetized using "Jethro" because nobody in the band has that name.

That third one can be tough on users as well. How am I supposed to know that
Janis Joplin is sorted as 'Joplin', but Jethro Tull is sorted  as 'Tull'?
I'm going to end up searching for one of those in the wrong place until I
start to remember which one is where (and surely the point of sorting is so
that I don't have to remember where stuff is).

I think the best solution is to have a separate name field for sorting. Then
users can arrange stuff however they desire.

Cheers,
Steve