[mythtv] "A", "An", and "The" for sorting - ticket 3048

brian turbo at talstar.com
Tue Feb 6 22:35:21 UTC 2007

Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Dan Wilga <mythtv-dev2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> says:
>> Being a sometimes radio DJ, I have to chime in about why this is a
>> fruitless discussion.
>
> [...]
>
>> IMHO, unless you're able to include all three of these criteria, you
>> might as well just sort the band name exactly as-is.
>
> Agreed, and thanks for the music-industry perspective. However, I
> think it's also clear that your rules #1 and #2 *do* apply to TV shows
> and movies, while rule #3 doesn't. So MythMusic definitely needs
> different sorting rules than the rest of MythTV.

   My proposed solution (see previous post on this thread) would satisfy
all three 'rules' pointed out by Dan, as well as allow for those that
don't want anything to change from how it works currently.

   And please add my name to the "music-industry perspective" list
adding to this discussion.  I did afternoon drive (and occasional
fill-in on other shifts) in addition to managing production and
copy-writing at a top 50-market radio station for several years.  This
may explain my interest in getting my mythmusic list sorted in a
specific manner.  I've got thousands and thousands of mp3 files to add
to my system -- my goal being every single that ever hit the Billboard
Hot 100 chart, from 1955 (when Billboard started keeping records, and
generally considered the beginning of the "Rock & Roll" era) to present.
  (and, no, I don't have all of them encoded... yet)

  -- brian