[mythtv] i know that qt4 is not supported

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Wed Feb 7 16:51:16 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 07 February 2007 11:37:37 am Simon Kenyon wrote:
> Simon Kenyon wrote:
> > the question is more one of why?
> >
> > 1 because there is no intention of moving to qt4
> > 2 because nobody has contributed a set of patches
> > 3 because having both qt3 and qt4 in the same codebase would be far too
> > messy
> >
> > should it be option 2, then that can be addressed.
> >
> > regards
> > --
> > simon
>
> of course the reason i ask is that i use gentoo and there is a bug in
> qt3 which i have to patch every time a new ebuild appears. the bug is
> fixed in qt4 (hence my interest).
>
> so maybe i will do some work and see how hard it would be to port.

It's going to be quite a lot of work to port to qt4 - lots of the widget
modifications we do to make them behave better with a remote / be more easily
themeable simply won't port over cleanly.  The new qt4 widgets & qt3
backwards compatibility wrappers don't have the same overrideable things as
qt3 did.  I spent a couple hours on it a few months ago and didn't make much
progress.

Also, it will be _way_ too messy to support both in the same tree.

Isaac