[mythtv] Request: MythHelp

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Wed Feb 7 19:43:53 UTC 2007

Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Wednesday 7 February 2007 04:06, Steven Ellis wrote:
>
>> I'm asking for these on behalf of my customers. Most of my customers have
>> no idea what a mailing list is, never mind deal with tools like Trac. For
>> example having DVB-S Radio isn't going to help me sell a lot more units,
>> but I have a couple of customers who would really like this feature to
>> work better. Am I supposed to say "Sorry but you will have to ask the
>> MythTV mailing list for help"?
>>

> No. As a rule we don't accept feature requests at all - it's patches or
> nothing. You are free to add such 'requests' to the wishlist in the Wiki,
> just don't expect anyone to start work on the feature.

Ok. I kinda get your point. I should have phrased this better
> So the correct solution would be to either contract a developer to write a
> patch for DVB-S Radio or tell your customers that you are unable to provide
> that feature at this time.

There are some bugs with DVB-S Radio. I have had other people contact me
about the problem since I place the posting and i'm testing a patch. If
the patch works I'll put in a trac ticket so everyone can get it.
> As far as your request for someone to work with on those data streams. The
> correct approach would have been to start work yourself, do as much as
> possible and then come to the list with what you have learnt so far. Coming
> to the list before you've got a specific question or written any code gives
> the impression that you want someone else to do much of the work.

MythTV has an existing MHEG-5 engine for the UK. They are planning on
using MHEG-5 here in NZ but we currently have no sample streams. I'm
just making sure i'm prepared to deal with this problem in the next
couple of weeks.

Steve

--
Steven Ellis - Technical Director