[mythtv] Fwd: Re: [mythtv-users] AC3 Decoding without external hardware?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Feb 8 16:21:49 UTC 2007

Mark Spieth wrote:
> sorry Ive been a bit lax on getting this completed. hopefully Ill find some
> time this weekend.

I applied it against SVN from about a month back and it needed only
minor tweaks to make it fit.  After remembering to recompile the plugins
it is working beautifully.

I have a couple of problems with some DVDs in that the sound is
distorted and coming out of the wrong speakers - I think it's going to
be traced to avformat probably reporting the wrong number of channels,
but haven't debugged it completely yet.  2 channel works great though -
no regressions that I can see and mythmusic works well.

Oh, one possible issue is that I think that the LFE bass is not being
boosted by 6dB?  I really don't understand where this ought to happen in
the decoder chain, but the LFE channel is deliberately too quiet on
DVD's and my unscientific test of playing DVDs in Xine, then Myth
suggests that it's lacking "slam".  (Bear in mind that I have 4x 15"
woofers on a seperate stereo 400W amp doing subwoofer duties and it's
possible that I may notice this more than others do...)

Thanks for Mark for writing this patch

I did try and send a bump to the dev list to consider committing this,
but I didn't get any response...

FWIW: Mark there is still quite a lot of debugging code in that patch.
I did start to clean it up a little, but I ran out of time

Cheers

Ed W