[mythtv] EPIA M10k - XvMC: Very high CPU (even when paused!!)

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Jan 3 01:04:26 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 00:51 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> > Hmmm, that sounds odd; nothing else played video in-between?
>
> I'm guessing that Myth itself is not clearing out the Xvideo port
> quickly enough (or at all?). This explains why I couldn't get it to work
> with MPEG2VIDEO again as I was using network control to restart
> playback. It's all falling into place :)

Can you try the mythtv-vid branch, to see if this is fixed
there? Stanley rewrote the preview video code and cleaned
it up quite a bit in the process.

> Having now done more reasearch while writing this email, the preview
> video does always use MPEG2VIDEO output, rather than select
> MPEG2VIDEO_XVMC_VLD. Not sure if this is deliberate or required for the
> scaling.

This is deliberate, and is also why preview uses more CPU.
Some video cards can't handle scaling an accelerated video
down to preview size. Stanley's code is written to avoid
accelerated video only when needed, but I need to add a
couple of OSD renderers to that branch before most people
will be able to use it.

> I've not got the CPU friendly previews option on, but I'll try that now
> and let you know if it has the same behaviour.
If the video previews are the problem, you should be able to
turn them off and not have this happen. Can you tell me if
that works?

-- Daniel