[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r12390 - in trunk/mythplugins by awithers

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Jan 5 06:02:07 UTC 2007

Anduin Withers wrote:
>> Now, after I enable mythvideo (which I've never used in
>> several years) and wait twice as long for the plugins to compile,
>
> More than twice, closer to 2.5x (at least for me).

I didn't time it, I just whined. My comment was unnecessary.

>> Can you please follow through and rearrange this so that the
>> Video and DVD functions are in separate menus and do the same
>> for classic theme.
>
> Yes. Given the number of UI changes that I've hated over the years I can
> certainly sympathize. My initial hope was to have no menu changes at all,
> unfortunately this would have required changes to more that just the plugin.

I could see that you made the minimal risk "make it go" change.
It just needs a little follow up for the "do it right" change.

>> experience tells me that some day in the
>> foreseeable future someone will have a brain storm 'Dude! We
>> could like just play DVDs without having all this video crud!".
>
> Not many people volunteered to pare down MythDVD to that functionality. The
> bulk of MythDVD is for importing DVDs, the play command for DVDs/VCDs is
> tiny.
>
> If there is more than a vocal minority who only used MythDVD to get a 'Play
> DVD' menu item then maybe resurrecting MythDVD to do only that would be
> worth it (though hopefully with a name change).

I'm starting to see that rip a DVD belongs with mythvideo. If
playing a DVD could be an separate lightweight plugin selection
without any of the rip/transcode dependencies, that may be a
Good Thing.

--  bjm