[mythtv] JobQueue Suggestion: Average Load of Backend

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 00:56:56 UTC 2007

On 1/9/07, osma ahvenlampi <oa at iki.fi> wrote:
> However, I'm not entirely certain I understand why you "block out ...
> on the chance that someone may be watching". I don't see any problems
> running up to three background commflag and transcode jobs on a
> single-CPU, single-disk backend/frontend while recording two programs
> (hence two real-time commflags) and watching something...

(You must have a much better single/machine than I. No amount of $$ I
threw at a single machine would do what you mentioned, with HD
content, without breaking down in noticable ways.. esp, for example,
HD content during logo detection phase... but that's a different
topic...)

The answer, for me, is because of the varying load of playing back
different types of content. I like to try to run my primary frontend
as high as the CPU will take, which doesn't leave a lot of room for
things like flag jobs, if, for example, I'm watching 1080i content
that is being kerndeint'd, and and output at 1080p on my display via
non-XvMC on my bigscreen. Or doing the same thing with mplayer..
Enough CPU to do the job with no problems, but toss in a commflag job,
and ff/rew is a little slower, audio _sometimes_ chops, etc. All
things I'm trying to avoid to make the presentation flawless, and keep
the people who use myth in my house (I'm in the minority) happy with
the solution.... a problem I think I'm not alone in.