[mythtv] Remote controller but not with LIRC

buzz davidbuzz at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 22:38:35 UTC 2007

Like brian said, a fader is not logically really any different to, say, a
scroll wheel on a mouse, or any other "pair" of buttons operated (like
volume, brightness).  You get "up signal" and "down signal".  The only
little catch is that the "signal" being sent (the MIDI one) would
probably/also contain absolute values regarding the position of the slider,
while most other devices just don't have any natural "hardware limits", so
you'd have to do something to "calibrate" the device (to map it's real
position to the position the system thinks it's in) , or you'd have to
somehow use the absolute value in lirc (a simple idea:  if it's a volume
slider from 1-100, then you could write your software to make this into any
of 100 different "volume" lirc events, and then write a large config file
mapping them all "set volume to absolute value X",  or you could perhaps use
the "repeat" functionality (ie if you get 50 repeats in lirc, then your
device is at 50% volume).  Just some ideas.