[mythtv] problems dumping and restoring my database

Simon Kenyon simon at koala.ie
Tue Jan 16 04:20:37 UTC 2007

i thought i'd pass this on - because it took me a long time to diagnose what
was going on.

some time ago i was having prolems with my database, so i decided to dump in
and then recreate it. all went fine and thing seemed to work. i kept having
strange problems. i finally tracked it down to this:

for some versions of mysql, the mysqldump command would not save either the
fact that a column was auto_increment, or the current value of the
auto_increment variable.

so i had a database with no auto_increment attribute on some of the columns.

well i fixed it by dumping the database and then restoring it after editing
the dump with the help of mythtv/libs/libmythtv/dbcheck.cpp

perhaps not the most elegent solution, but functional.

hope this helps somebody else in the future
--
simon